Thursday, July 15, 2010

Grenade and Star Wars

What is this?
a tomato hornworm. mister evil tomato killer is so EVIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is its scientific name?
Manduca sexta sexta





Does it have a backbone? NO

Does it have fur? nono

Does it have wings? LaTeR!

What does its skin feel like? swan skin

How many feet does it have? 16
What do its feet look like? a tree frogs suction cup [no real cup]

How many legs does it have? 16
What do its legs look like? tree stumps

What does its body look like? worm [ DUH ] [TEEHEE]

What does it eat? TOMATOES

Where does it live? TX

How big is it? 2x3 inches

What do its babies look like? IT is a baby.

Is it domesticated (tamed by man) or wild? WILD

Is it endangered? No


What did you name him and his friend?
star wars and grenade.


Tell us what you are trying to do with this caterpillar (and his friend)
.
pupa them


I would like to know why caterpillars, raising them, and turning them into butterflies is so interesting to you.
you can watch them grow up.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know that a tomato Hornworm would turn into a butterfly!!! I thought they were just evil tomato eaters! Does it hurt if you get poked by their horns? What does the butterfly look like? I'm happy he is so far away from my tomatoes!
    -jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting study that you are pursing, Maren! I'm assuming because of its name,Tomato Hornworm,that it has horns on top of its head but, after looking closely, I don't see them. What saith you? Also, I'm wondering how much it weighs now and how much bigger it will get before it covers its entire body. I, too, never realized that this particular t. worm would become a butterfly. Please let us know how this experiment turns out! Happy days ahead!
    Aunt Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. uh, welllllll, aunt Linda im sorry to say my hornworms died last year [2010]

    Love you! Maren.

    ReplyDelete